03 August 2006

Finally, a post that's not about frogging

Behold, the joining of the fingers!

knucks_fingers_joined @ Flickr

These are, of course, my Knucks, and they have gone astonishingly well thus far. I opted to knit all of the loose fingers first, to help cut down on Second Sock Knuck Syndrome:

knucks_fingers @ Flickr

Here are the fingers for the other hand (except for the index, which is knitted and left live on the needles; the other, separate fingers are then slipped back onto the needles, and the lot is knitted together) and the thumbs. An old friend is helping me to hold all the loose stitches; the waste yarn is coming from one of the first skeins I ever bought, and with which I made my first-ever stitches. *

The pattern is written for DPNs, but after being shown the two-circulars technique, I've been digging that. (Besides, I had the circs. I don't have the DPNs.) It has meant that each finger has looked like a rather ungainly arachnid, what with all the loose ends and circs dangling about, but I've avoided any major snarls.

I'm still contemplating the embroidery. I'm making them primarily for work, where the A/C can approach refrigeration levels, so I've been half-tempted to stitch my work logo onto them. It's abstract enough that it would just look pretty to those who don't recognize it ... on the other hand (heh), I think I could just get really creative.

The lettering? I'm trying to decide between WORD NERD or WORD GEEK. Either would be accurate; I'm leaning toward "geek" but I like the way "nerd" rhymes.

Once these are done? I'll probably attempt socks again. I seem to have caught the fever for sock yarn; the skeins and balls keep trickling in. Viz.:

Lorna's Laces 'Shadow' @ Flickr

(Dramatization. No actual cats were used in the making of this photo.)

It's Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Shadow. It may well become a pair of socks for the Beloved, who occasionally will pout that I haven't made anything for him. (Fortunately, as Floridians, we have little use for sweaters, so we may be immune to the dreaded Sweater Curse, at least if you take the name literally.) After petting it in the yarn shop for several weeks (the yarn, not the Beloved), I decided it simply HAD to come home with me. But isn't that the way of all yarn?

* It's a green-cream-red variegated skein of Red Heart. I'll introduce you later.

Technorati Tags:

No comments:

We do need steenkin' badges

So I stumbled across The Illustrious Order of Cast On Knitting Scouts . I resemble some of these remarks: